HISTORY OF BETHANY INSTITUTIONS
Tragedy struck a young mother in August 1949. In trying to save their pet dog ,her sons Leonard,aged 9, and Darell, aged 8 drowned in a pool. Mrs Mignon David’s life was shattered. From her grief and loss was born a resolve to dedicate her life to imparting education to children. Mrs. Mignon David started a hostel in a rented building, for destitute children on the streets who were given food and shelter.
It was later extended to students who were admitted to schools around Richmond Town but did not get accommodation in their respective hostels. It was truly ‘A Home Away From Home’ for those girls and boys from ‘Baldwins’ and ‘Cottons’ and also from other far off cities in India. She founded The Bethany Home School, as it was called then, with the moral and financial help of her husband Mr. J. David and a very dear friend, late Mr. Satur (ex-Principal, St. John’s High School). It was started with one classroom, one pupil and three teachers in an obscure room on Curley Street, Richmond Town. It was the beginning of a long journey with Our Heavenly Father answering all prayers. Today Bethany stands tall representing everything our dear founder wanted for the school. It is inscribed in our vision to carry the legacy of our founder to impart knowledge without discrimination to all children.